Donald Trump Jr was criticized for making a “tasteless” outburst in which he suggested that Uvalde’s mass shooter Salvdor Ramos could have killed his 21 victims with a “bat”.
On Saturday, former President Donald Trump’s son posted a rambling video on his Facebook page claiming that last week’s massacre could have taken place with any other type of weapon.
He raged furiously at people saying “it’s the gun, it’s not the sociopath who wields it.”
“If it weren’t for the gun, this guy would be a reasonable, well-adjusted individual, he’d be a wonderful human being, right?” he asked her.
“Wouldn’t he have done the exact same thing with a club, or a bomb, or some kind of makeshift device … or a machete?”
Trump Jr’s outburst comes amid an uproar over how an 18-year-old can walk into a store and purchase two AR-15 rifles and more than 1,000 ammo legally and without sounding alarm bells in the state of Texas.
During his tirade, he complained that the guns will be blamed for the mass shooting that killed 19 children and two teachers.
“They will blame the guns, they will blame everything because no one can take responsibility for their actions,” he said.
“No one can admit that someone is actually a piece of junk and a mess. We can’t have it, that would be bad!
While trying to defend the availability of firearms, Trump Jr instead blamed the mass shooting on a “drug addict mother”, “missing father”, “school indoctrination programs” and “mad teachers”.
He said that “there is no accountability” and that people are unable to speak about the real cause of the massacre.
“We are not allowed to say anything about it. We all know that if you actually see something and say something, you’re labeled, you’re bigoted, ‘I can’t believe you would,’ maybe you got the person’s gender wrong, “she said.
“They will chase you for hate crimes, you will be sued for stating the obvious. You’re not allowed to really say something, you should, but we all know how it works really well.
Social media users have struck his comments, calling them “stupid” and “tasteless”.
“In an astounding display of stupidity, Donald Trump Jr angrily railed that Uvalde’s killer could have killed his victims with a ‘bat’,” one person tweeted.
Another person chimed in: “Was Donald Trump Jr. duped or does he really believe his own wild outburst about the Uvalde, Texas shooting?”
Meanwhile, one person simply tweeted: “Take off Jr’s guns first.”
His comments come 16 years after Buckingham Palace was forced to apologize when Prince Philip tried to make a similar argument in the aftermath of the Dunblane massacre.
In 1996, 16 children and a teacher were shot dead by a gunman at Dunblane Primary School in Scotland.
Queen Elizabeth II’s husband, who passed away last year, compared the ban on handguns to the ban on cricket bats.
“If a cricketer, for example, suddenly decided to go into a school and beat many people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean you will ban cricket bats?” he asked her.
His comments drew sharp criticism from the families of the victims and the Palace apologized saying it was not intended to cause “offense or distress.”
After the Dunblane massacre, the UK introduced stricter gun laws, including a ban on owning guns.
There hasn’t been a school shooting in the UK since then.
Last year, Governor Greg Abbott further loosened gun laws in the Lone Star State, allowing most Texans to carry guns openly in public without any training or permission.
Long guns, such as those used in last week’s attack, may already be carried without permission.
Ramos legally purchased two AR-15 rifles and 1,657 ammunition in the days following his 18th birthday on May 16.
On May 24, he then shot his grandmother in the face before driving to Robb Elementary School in the family truck.
He abandoned the vehicle in a ditch near the school and entered the building through a door that had remained open.
Once inside, Ramos barricaded himself in a classroom where he shot and killed 19 students and two teachers.
He was eventually shot dead by border patrol officers after officials stormed the courtroom.
Mr. Abott – and other Republicans – were targeted for lax state regulations in the aftermath of the shooting.
Democratic candidate for governor Beto O’Rourke confronted him at a press conference Wednesday, telling him the massacre was “totally predictable” after the state refused to implement gun control laws.
The governor was then greeted with whistles and jeers on Sunday when he joined President Joe Biden and First Lady Jill Biden at the memorial outside Robb Elementary School as demands continue to grow for the United States to implement more weapons reform measures. .
Meanwhile, questions about handling the mass shooting are also mounting after local officials admit critical mistakes were made.
Officers at the scene held back, taking 77 minutes to enter the barricaded classroom as gunfire continued and desperate children trapped inside called emergency health services for help.
The Department of Justice has launched an investigation into the incident.